As promised, here is my progress update from the past week!
- I have reached chapter 46/117 of the Count of Monte Cristo. I had some great days of reading when I got lots done, and then others when I read only short stories and didn’t even glance at this. So, need to do better this week!
- I have managed to keep up with the One Short Month project, and have read and discussed the stories on tumblr. It’s been really fun, and I’ve discovered some really great stories including: Hungry Daughters of Starving Mothers by Alyssa Wong, and Combustion Hour by Yoon Ha Lee – both are well worth checking out!
- I have managed to dedicate 18 hours to editing and revising Wild and Free, and am currently in the middle of chapter 9, which is taking a bit longer than the rest because it involves some pretty heavy fight scenes. I have hit one snag though – I’ve realised that I’m a bit ‘meh’ about my first chapter, so I’m going to be completely rewriting it (here’s so Wild and Free Version 3!) – glad that I’ve figured this out now though than when I pass it on to other people for reading!
- I have send in my application for the competition; I’ll be hearing from them on August 16th about whether or not I’ve been successful, so fingers crossed!
- I have written 2,071 words of excerpt #23 of my short story project. I’m more than half-way through the story and I WILL finish it tomorrow and get on with excerpt #24.
- I have chosen three prompts that I want to answer – two from wordpress and one from tumblr. I am determined to answer one of them next week, so we’ll see how that goes!
That’s all from me – I will be spending eight hours on a bus tomorrow, so at least four of those hours will be spent editing/revising Wild and Free, and with the other four will be spent getting some new stuff written!
How is your writing and reading journey going? Are there any Camp NaNoWriMo people here?
I joined wordpress eleven days ago, and have already found some wonderful blogs to follow, have read beautiful short stories and poems, have posted a few pieces of writing and received some lovely comments for them – excellent! Hello to everyone who’s following me, and thank you to those who’ve liked and commented on my posts!
I’ve found that without some sort of deadline, schedule, or goal-setting, I get very little productive work done when it comes to my writing, so every month I set myself some goals to accomplish, and I thought it would be fun to share them with all of you and my progress as I go along!
July 2017 Goals
- I have been plodding my way through The Count of Monte Cristo for about three weeks now, and it’s time I actually sat down and just READ it. It’s not that I don’t like the story (because I do, I think it’s intriguing and ridiculous and funny and dramatic), but I keep getting distracted by reading short stories here on wordpress as well as on wattpad and tumblr. I have an overall goal of wanting to read at least twenty books this year, so I need to get cracking if I want to meet and hopefully exceed it!
- I’ve joined in with a short story reading group that’s being run on tumblr by user amormadeofbooks. It’s called ‘One Short Month’ and we’ll be reading and discussing twenty-two short stories from a variety of genres and authors. Since I’ve gotten more in to writing short stories I really want to get into reading them more, so I’m hoping this reading group will be a good starting point.
- My main writing goal for this month is to completely revise and edit my first novel “Wild and Free.” I’ve joined July’s Camp NaNoWriMo in the hopes that it will keep me motivated to get it done.
- I’ve also recently found EXTRA motivation to get my editing finished as I’ve found a competition for unpublished authors to join a mentoring programme and hopefully get their work published and the application date is July 16th. So I will 100% be focusing on getting my manuscript ready for then!
- I want to keep the pace of writing one short story a week for my short story project ‘Excerpts From Unfinished Novels’, which means that by the end of the month I should have written short stories #23 – 26.
- And because I love giving myself too much work to do, I would like to also have answered at least one writing prompt from tumblr and one writing challenge here on wordpress.
I’ll post weekly updates on my progress – which should hopefully ensure that I keep up with my goals REGULARLY rather than cramming them all in at the last minute which is my usual M.O. hehe… Are there any other goals of mine that you would like to know – life/blogging/travel/other?
Have you set yourself any goals for July? What are your thoughts on goal-setting – yay or nay? Let me know in the comments!